COMMS WILL BE ON SIMPLE RADIO SYSTEM

//
DOCUMENTS
OP FRICTION 2 INITIAL BRIEF
OP FRICTION 2 - SORTIE 009 EXECUTION PLAN
//
SITREP
20 nov:

• CSIS reported that Paramilitary Basij militia have been tasked by IRGC to occupy Bandar-E Lengeh.
  • There is a doubt that the chemical plant located S-W of Bandar Lengeh might still warehouse chemical and/or depleted nuclear waste.
·        NATO authorized the first ground operation of the campaign. The primary objectives are (but not limited to):
    • Deny Basij Militia action in Bandar Lengeh;
    • Secure the area around Bandar Lengeh;
    • Deny any attempt of transporting chemical or nuclear material;
    • Support an upcoming medium/large scale USMC amphibious assault on Bandar-E Lengeh in 12 hours.
  • The first defensive position to secured is downtown Bandar-e Lengeh and its airfield. These areas are patrolled by the paramilitary Basij militia.
  • 5EVC is tasked to insert 2x SOF reconnaissance group in Bandar Lengeh area. Their objectives are to set-up 2 observation posts, OP1 and OP2
    • OP1 will be set-up in Bandar Lengeh downtown, next to the Mosque
    • OP2 will be set-up in an overwatch position on Mount Bostaneh
  • AOR airspace will be under responsibility of JTAC C/S “RED MARKER”
//
MAIN AIR MISSION OBJECTIVES:
·        Set-up OP1 and OP2
·        Provide air support to team OP1 and team OP2
·        Perform decoy strike to cover insertion at DZ1 and DZ2
//
BULLSEYE: SAGUENAY
RAMROD: SHUTERDOWN
METAR: OMDB 302200Z VRB02KT 6000 NSC 23/19 Q1015 NOSIG
//
ATO:

TSKCNTRY/CAN//
SVCTASK/RCAF//
TASKUNIT/5 vWING/ICAO:OMDM//200500ZNOV2018//

AMSNDAT/RE5452/RECCE/XCAS/-/CHARIOT/-/0302/DEPLOC:OMDM/ARRLOC:OMDM//
MSNACFT/2/OTHAC:A10C/MURDER11-12/AIRCREW DISCRETION/-/30.50/-//
AMSNLOC/0320/0520/-/-//
ARINFO/TEXACO/TANKER TRACK BLUE/FL180/150.000/18Y//
CONTROLA/CRC/CHARIOT/VICTORIOUS/237.000/243.000//
TAC/JTAC/RED MARKER/OP1/248.250/-//
AMPL/ACQUIRE VISUAL CONTACT WITH TEAM 1 ASAP ONCE THEY REPORT HAVING FEET OU THE GROUND//

AMSNDAT/XC9452/XCAS/-/-/CHARIOT/-/0308/DEPLOC:OMDM/ARRLOC:OMDM//
MSNACFT/2/OTHAC:A10C/HAWG15-16/AIRCREW DISCRETION/-/32.25/-//
AMSNLOC/0320/0520/IP SAGUENAY/FL150//
ARINFO/TEXACO/TANKER TRACK BLUE/FL180/150.000/18Y//
AMPL/EXPECT POSSIBLE D/T OR CAS MISSION RE-TASKING//

AMSNDAT/ST0368/STRIKE/XCAS/-/CHARIOT/-/0304/DEPLOC:OMDM/ARRLOC:OMDM//
MSNACFT/1/OTHAC:F18/NIGHTMARE31-32/AIRCREW DISCRETION/-/133.800/-/
AMSNLOC/0320/0520/-/-//
GTGLOC/-/-/NET 0320/NLT 0330/BANDAR AIRFIELD/-/SOFT STRUCTURES/AIRFIELD/DMPI 1,2,3,4/75/-//
ARINFO/SHELL/TANKER TRACK BLUE/FL260/151.000/-//

AMSNDAT/T5543/TACTICAL AIRLIFT/XCAS/-/CHARIOT/-/0315/DEPLOC:USS TARAWA/ARRLOC:USS TARAWA//
MSNACFT/2/OTHAC:UH1H/TIGER51-54/AIRCREW DISCRETION/-/34.50/-//
AMSNLOC//0300/0500/-/-//
CONTROLA/CRC/CHARIOT/-/237.000/243.000//
AMPL/AFTER INSERT AT DZ 1 AND 2, RTB AND CONVERT TO GUNSHIP CONFIG. ACHIEVE RPI FOR ON-CALL CAS//

AMSNDAT/Q4751/QRA/-/-/CHARIOT/-/0308/DEPLOC:OMDM/ARRLOC:OMDM//
MSNACFT/1/OTHAC:F18/CLAW21-22/MIX A-G AND A-A PAYLOAD/-/246.750/-/
AMSNLOC/0300/0500/-/-//
ARINFO/SHELL/TANKER TRACK BLUE/FL260/151.000/-//
CONTROLA/CRC/CHARRIOT/VICTORIOUS/237.000/243.000//

//
MSN NUMBERS 
RE5452 – MURDER flight

MISSION:
RECCE over Bandar Lengeh;

Support ground forces with CAS if necessary

TARGET:
NIL

LIMITATIONS:

Achieve airspace deconfliction with A10s and HUEYs before JTAC RED MARKER is ONSTA
Do not engage in Bandar Lengeh before coordinating with JTAC RED MARKER;

SUCCESS CRITERIA:
Check-in with JTAC RED MARKER;
Perform RECCE over Bandar Lengeh;

Acquire visual contact with team 1 after they get out of the water;
Pass on RECCE infos for Bandar Lengeh to RED MARKER;
Support ground forces with CAS if necessary.

FAILURE CRITERIA:
Failure to set-up OP1;

Failure to provide CAS if required

APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS:
OP FRICTION 2 Initial Brief;
OP FRICTION 2 Sortie 009 EXECUTION

//

MSN NUMBERS 
ST0368 - NIGHTMARE flight

MISSION:
Perform Decoy strike at Bandar Airfield;

Support ground forces with CAS if necessary.

TARGET:
Bandar Airfield, DMPI 1,2,3,4

LIMITATIONS:

Achieve airspace deconfliction with A10s and HUEYs before JTAC RED MARKER is ONSTA

SUCCESS CRITERIA:
Achieve coordination with A10s and HUEYs

FAILURE CRITERIA:
Damage any civilian building;

Fail to destroy target ECHO YELLOW

APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS:

//

MSN NUMBERS 
XC9452 – HAWG flight

MISSION:
Airborne on-call CAS (XCAS)

TARGET:
NIL

LIMITATIONS:

SUCCESS CRITERIA:

Respond to any given D/T mission re-tasking;
Respond to any given CAS mission re-tasking.

FAILURE CRITERIA:
Failure to respond to any given D/T or CAS mission re-tasking

APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS:

//

MSN NUMBERS 
T5543 – TIGER flight

MISSION:
Tactical airlifting of 2x SOF team at DZ1 and DZ2

TARGET:
NIL

LIMITATIONS:

For TEAM 1: simulate insertion
For TEAM 2: use CTLD to insert 1x JTAC and 1x QRF team from “troop transport” menu

SUCCESS CRITERIA:
Insert TEAM 1 at DZ1

Insert TEAM 2 and DZ2
Support ground forces with CAS if necessary

FAILURE CRITERIA:
fail to insert both team 1 and 2;

APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS:

//

MSN NUMBER 
Q4751 - CLAW flight

MISSION:
DOB TUNB airbase.

TARGET:
N/A

LIMITATIONS:
NIL

SUCCESS CRITERIA:
Establish runway alert at TUNB AB;

Respond to any possible scramble call.

FAILURE CRITERIA:
Fail to establish runway alert at TUNB airbase;

Fail to respond to any given scramble call.

APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS:

ROSTER

MURDER 11 D-COKE
MURDER 12 CIWS

HAWG 15 FARNWAGO
HAWG 16 RAAB

CLAW 21
CLAW 22 

NIGHTMARE 31 TIGER
NIGHTMARE 32 CHAPPY
NIGHTMARE 33 GHOSTMAN

TIGER 51 PLUIE
TIGER 52 DARAFTY
TIGER 53 BUNZ
TIGER 54

CRYSTAL
CHARIOT NIMITZ
JTAC RED MARKER NIMITZ
[Image: mini_939675WGNIMITZ.png]
In a-10C

Raab
Seek and Brrrraap
In. CF-18

in cf-18
In Claw 22
5e EVC Close Air Support SME.
JTAC Red Marker AAR
  • Both team were inserted approx. 15-20min (maybe more?) delay from the planned timings by TIGER flight
  • NIGHTMARE performed decoy strike at Bandar Airfield as planned
  • MURDER did a good job a performing recce over Bandar Langeh prior to check-in with JTAC RED MARKER and pass on informations from their recce. MANPADS launch were reported in the town.
  • HAWG were re-tasked to D/T mission TARGET on a comm tower. Unfortunately they were not carrying an appropriate payload but still manager to inflict desired effect on target with AGMs.
  • RED MARKER location came direct contact with the Basij Militia in Bandar Lengeh. MURDER and TIGER provided CAS and CCA successfully.
Debrief points:
  • Communication between flights involved in the main objective (in that case, supporting insertion of team 1 and 2) must be improved. I noticed more communication FLIGHT-TO-CHARRIOT than FLIGHT-TO-FLIGHT. Pilots should show more "appropriation" of the mission and take greater control of the action in their AOR.
  • The clearance to fire is something critical. In a situation of CAS, where you are in a airspace own by a JTAC, or FAC-A or else, the clearance to fire must be respected, at any time. If you wish to engage a self-designated target, ask the terminal controller for a clearance to fire.
  • Flight tasked on a on-call CAS mission should bring a mixed payload, not to heavy, not the light, with flexibility and loiter time in mind.
  • Great job by CIWS for its first OP with the 5EVC! I hope you had fun!
Mission planning, design and technical points:
  • That mission was design to create a scenario where as many pilot as possible would be involve in the same objectives and in the same AOR. Of course, it's impossible to have 8-10 aircrafts at the same place with only 1 WHITE CELL (in that case, me, as JTAC). I think the objectives was met but the fact we where flying at night imposed too much of a high difficulty level.
  • The mission was also design to be a challenge for RW. Def. MET!
  • Another objective was, as a single WHITE CELL, to keep everyone busy troughout the mission.
  • I came to the conclusion that flying at night in DCS is currently too much of a pain in the ass and not necessary for our entertainement. Now that we have boots on the Mainland in IRGC area of influence, I will not design night mission anymore unless I am requested to do so by 5EVC members.
  • Last minute sign-up cannot be accomodated with tasking. If you wish to have great time flying in our OP, I must know ahead of time who is going to attend, in order to create taskings for everyone. Sorry @RIFLE.
[Image: mini_939675WGNIMITZ.png]
Overall a pretty bad night for me. First I experienced problems with SRS. I never used SRS with the Huey before and it seems like it was forcing something like a ''incockpit PTT'' ? I did try to change my control bindings in game for the radio to something else but that didnt help. The fix was to put ''Allow INCOCKPIT DCS Controlled PTT'' to off in SRS settings menu. Seems like it is unique to the Huey or to a few modules as I never had issues with SRS and the F18 or A10. 

TIGER AAR

I really wouldnt wait for people who are experiencing tech problems during Ops. It seems like it ended up messing up the timing. I should have tested my stuff before the Op and I dont think the mission should suffer or that people should wait around for people who are not ready/are having issues. 

Again, pretty unfamiliar with the Huey but it seems to me like transit speeds were too high. I was scared of the EGT limits and didnt want to push it up as much. My loadout was also slightly heavier on the first transit. 

Seems to me like alot (too much) effort was put on trying to make regain VISUAL when BLIND (launching flares etc) rather than trying to plan for a rejoin (weither while on route or at the destination). Since I was alot slower than the rest of the flight, I think the right thing to do would have been to pull out our map, and plan for a rejoin point (ie lets all reform in this village or something along those lines). Launching flares after flares when I am 20nm behind doesnt help. 

I think this was my first time using the new NVGs with the Huey and I ran in all sorts of problems. I couldnt set my internal lights properly and the FOV seems extremely small. It might be more realistic but it seems ALOT harder than in the days where the NVG would fill the entire screen. It was also completely impossible to spot other helos or see the horizon clearly when over water. 

The main common frequency was busy to the point that it was completely chaffing in flight comms. I am not sure if it is something about the way my volume is set, If I should use different canals or something, but I had a hard time communicating because of it.

It seems like the huey flight (me included) had a really hard time voicing its position. We were referencing colomns of smokes and comms towers when I literrally saw dozen of those in the city. I think we need to learn to better ''baptize'' the terrain and make better use of our map, navaids and NS430. I had no issues with the NS430 and used it on the second transit. I think it should be used more. I only found how to enter coordinates  in Degree Decimal Minutes (DDM). If anybody know how to enter coordinates in DMS (Degrees, Minutes ,Seconds) please let me know. And Huey crews need to be aware of the difference between DMS and DDM (might explain the issues they had to find coordinates locations in the past).

Mission planning, design and technical points:

Made me rethink the Huey: Is it really a night/all weather plateform ? What can I do be better with the new NVGs ?
I wouldnt discard night missions all together but we really need to look deeper in some issues. 
Tiger AAR. 

MSN NUMBERS 
T5543 – TIGER flight

MISSION:
Tactical airlifting of 2x SOF team at DZ1 and DZ2

TARGET:
NIL

LIMITATIONS:

For TEAM 1: simulate insertion
For TEAM 2: use CTLD to insert 1x JTAC and 1x QRF team from “troop transport” menu

SUCCESS CRITERIA:
Insert TEAM 1 at DZ1, Met, but only 2 x Huey on scene. 

Insert TEAM 2 and DZ2, Not met, was approximately 5 NM East of DZ 2. The Huey didn't have any way to navigate with precision. Instead there is the NS 430 (Not available for VR user). During night ops it's very hard to saw our navigation instruments. 
Support ground forces with CAS if necessary, Partially met, we destroyed 5 x vehicles near the chemical compound. We also tried to support Red Marker with the infantry rushing to his position. We lost 2 x Helo during this part of the mission, one at the beginning (don't know what happened) and the second one was hit by bullets coming from a vehicle close to the comms tower in the middle of the city. The last helo suffered also with lost of his AM and UHF radios. 

FAILURE CRITERIA:
fail to insert both team 1 and 2;

APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS:

Night ops in urban area is very difficult with helo. The light from the ground reduce our ability to spot enemy with the NVG ON. Flying without those NVG during night ops is not possible. 

Flying helo during day light is pretty simple, but having someone who fly occasionally helo and during night ops is not in my own opinion a good idea. We spend to mush time waiting for the third helo to rejoin us during the insertion mission and the CAS mission as well. 

We need to improved our comm during flight, especially during night ops where it's harder to saw what the lead is doing. It's harder to recover at night when the lead is doing a full stop without communicating his intention. 

We definitely need more training at night to improve our skills and also our comms. 

For op planing we need to have the exact coordinate of the Tarawa. That will help us planning our flight. Or have access to the .miz file prior to do the mission. Another solution will be to add the flight plan to the miz file for the helo, especially for night Ops.

Overall, the helo mission was poor from my own opinion. Did not have enough time to plan the mission on my side. On the scenario side, it was a excellent mission to evaluate the skills of all flight.
First, I was having a blast until I got kicked out. Seems like we were just getting into the fun bits.

Sparkle, it appeared to be hitting a target in the desert north. I know my lead saw the same thing. I had a hard time finding the mosque, today I ran some stuff in my PC in the editor. Please check mgrs for the mosque on the mission 009, I think it was wrong in the brief. Is there a reason I can’t review my mission on Tacview?

Not sure if it is of VR, but I was unable to eyeball targets at night in a lit city with NVGs( the man pads kept us up very high, I was angles 11, at least trying to, it was not very disciplined. Most of my work was done with TGP, it was slow work considering we were in a box not coming any closer than 5 Miles resulting in a lot of wooded periods, during these periods my TGp would sometimes loose its place and I would have to start over. (Please, any help?) Unfortunately, inputting the MGRS coordinates was no help as it was not in the city. This is a training point for my next flight, not sure if I wrote it down wrong or input it wrong.

Not gonna lie, I felt like the fifth wheel. I have a real hard time talking on the radio. My words come out all messed up. Directions get inverted, and my only language is English! I had the hardest time remembering “red marker” last night. Sorry. It has got to get better with time. Lol